Custom Mouth Guard
Why kids should wear a mouthguard when playing sports:
- Athletes are 60 times more likely to sustain damage to the teeth when not wearing a protective mouthguard.
- The American Dental Association estimates that mouthguards prevent approximately 200,000 injuries each year in high school and collegiate football alone.
- The cost to replant a tooth and the lifetime follow-up dental care can reach $10,000-$15,000 per tooth.
Why does my child need a custom fit mouthguard?
- Custom mouthgaurds offer superior protection and comfort.
- Unlike over the counter mouthguards, custom mouthguards are made from specialized plastics built to better withstand impact, absorb and redistribute shock, and protect from injuries to the head and neck such as concussions, jaw dislocations or fracture, and fractured or lost teeth.
- Custom mouthgaurds will fit and feel better in the mouth allowing the athlete to speak and breathe easier than they would with an over-the-counter mouthguard. This is one reason why athletes are more likely to wear a custom fit mouthguard.
When should my child start wearing a mouthguard for sports?
As soon as your child begins a contact sport. Children who begin wearing a custom mouthguard at an early age tend to continue this habit into the future.
Ask Smiles in Motion about making a custom fit mouthguard for your child today! We have offices in Eau Claire, Chippewa Falls, Rice Lake, Menomonie, and Hudson.